October 21, 2014: The Biopsy

Today, we went back to Solis Breast Center for my ultra sound guided biopsy. Once again, I was sent back to the back for my medical shirt. Inside the ultra sound room, a different radiologist came in then the one I had seen the week before. She explained again how the biopsy would be done. She looked at all the small, black spots and measured each of them again. All the numbers seemed to match up with the numbers from the week before. She restated what the other doctor and tech had stated. She didn’t feel like we needed to biopsy any of these. As she looked over the larger, grey mass, I saw the concern cloud over her eyes just as it had the other doctor’s. My heart sped up a bit and the palms of my hands became moist.

The doctor explained the numbing shot, the click, and the small, noodle like samples that would be all a part of the procedure. She told me she felt like she’d need to take about three samples from the mass. The needle of numbing medication was inserted first. I watched as the needle went deep inside the tumor. She measured the mass closely before setting the biopsy needle. At this point, I watched as she moved the biopsy needle into the tumor. I heard the click. I watched as the needle shot across the tumor taking the tiny, noodle-like piece from the middle of the tumor. Then I watched the strangest thing. The tumor’s fibers quickly wrapped around the blank space filling it in. The doctor then took another biopsy going from the top to the bottom of the tumor. I heard the click. Once again, I watched the tumor’s fibers quickly wrap around the blank space filling it up as well. The last picture she took appeared to my untrained eye as looking exactly like the one taken prior to the biopsy. This didn’t seem normal. At this moment, I felt the tears well up. At this moment, I knew my battle had just began. I waited for the next click as the doctor placed the marker inside the tumor. We watched as the tumor’s fibers wrapped around the marker. The very last picture I watched her take, I couldn’t see the marker. Then again, I had seen the tiny silver ribbon marker before it was shot into the tumor. It was so small it didn’t seem abnormal to be hard for my untrained eyes to see.

As the doctor explained she would get this read as soon as possible, but to know it could be as late as Friday before she got back to me. I told her it was okay, but I already knew my battle had already began. She couldn’t hide from her eyes what she already knew just from watching the biopsy, and I didn’t need a medical degree to know what I had witnessed wasn’t normal. I would have to have faith God knew what He was doing. This was a part of my journey. What He brings us to, He will lead us through.

About courage2conquercancer

At the age of 40, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is an account of my journey from my discovery and beyond.
This entry was posted in before cancer, biopsy, finding the lump and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s